Palace midfielder Neil Danns is suspended, but newly-appointed captain Paddy McCarthy is expected to shake off an Achilles problem in time to play.Summer signings Owen Garvan, Adam Barrett and Andy Dorman are set for debuts, but David Wright is a slight doubt with a hamstring injury.
Leicester forward Paul Gallacher could feature, despite missing most of City's pre-season matches with a thigh injury.
Aleksandar Tunchev is still out with a persistent knee problem.
Palace have not had much joy against Leicester or on opening days of the season in recent years. They have lost their last three matches against the Foxes, failing to score in all three games, and have beaten them at Selhurst Park only twice in the last 15 years.
Palace fans, who have seen their team lose their first match four seasons in a row, will be hoping they can make a winning start under new manager George Burley - and make a fresh start after the club's struggles on and off the pitch last season.
Leicester, who were beaten in the play-offs, also have a new manager, with Paulo Sousa having succeeded Nigel Pearson after almost guiding Swansea City to a top-six finish.
Sousa's Swansea side scored and conceded very few goals, and were the masters of eking out results. He could fit in well at Leicester, as all but nine of their 46 games during the regular season were either drawn or settled by a single goal.
• Leicester's 3-0 win at Palace in April 1998 was the last time one of these clubs scored more than two goals against each other.
Have your say on this match
• Palace were involved in a dozen 1-1 draws last season - more than any other Championship club.
• Darren Ambrose is set to make his 200th career start.
• Leicester were caught offside 198 times in Championship matches last season - more than any other team.
• Steve Howard needs two more goals to total 200 in his club career.
Source: BBC Sport
Source: BBC Sport